Design Arts Apprenticeships
Applications for Spring Term 2021 are now open!
Design Arts Apprenticeship Program
The design arts apprenticeship program offers Lane County middle and high school students apprenticeship opportunities in graphic, digital and physical design. Students pair with a professional designer, working alongside their mentor to understand the profession, explore specific ways to approach design, and begin creating on their own. In addition to learning a creative practice, students also explore the business aspects of a creative career, bolstering college and career readiness regardless of their chosen field.
The apprenticeship program:
- Pairs 3-4 students with an artist mentor, for a total of 25 after-school hours over a 10 week period for intensive, direct learning.
- Supports students in creating a hands-on project that can be presented or demonstrated at the end of the term.
- Introduces business aspects of a creative career.
- Provides students professional training opportunities through workshops and community talks with international designers.
Professional artists, designers, educators and arts organizations are working together to guide students who may be considering a career in design or another creative field. Whether or not students pursue these careers, the apprenticeship experience will help them cultivate “world of work” skills they can utilize in any profession.
Past mentors have brought experience in wood and metal design, fashion design, graphic design, digital projection, 3D rendering, ceramics and electrical engineering.
IN-PERSON OR VIRTUAL
We are offering both in-person and virtual options for students. Since this program gathers small groups of 3-4 students with 1 mentor, we will safely host these small in-person sessions in adherence to OHA guidelines. To meet the needs of all students during this time, virtual options are also available. When you apply, you’ll notate your preference for in-person and virtual experiences.
COTTAGE GROVE EXPANSION
We are pleased to offer an apprenticeship site at Opal Center in Cottage Grove for South Lane middle and high school students! There will still be several sites around the Eugene-Springfield area as well. When you apply, please notate your preferred location.
Please note that students may choose to participate in a fully virtual version of the program, allowing for participation by Lane County students from any location.
PAY WHAT YOU CAN
Our Design Arts Apprenticeship program provides invaluable experiences for students of all backgrounds, and accessibility is central to our program model. To avoid any barriers to participation due to cost, we ask that families assess the value of the program relative to their budget and make a financial contribution at the end of each term. This support from participants helps us maintain the quality and longevity of our apprenticeships for future students and families.
- 10-Week Apprenticeship: January 11th-March 19th, 2021
- Final Showcase Week: March 20th-27th, 2021
- Applications Due: March 19th, 2021
- Kickoff Event: April 7th, 2021
- 10-Week Apprenticeship: April 12th-June 18th, 2021
- Final Showcase Week: June 19th-26th, 2021